Health Tip: Help Prevent Pneumonia
- Pneumonia is a respiratory infection, caused by either bacteria or a virus, that can be acquired on its own, or as a common complication of the flu.
A vaccine is available to combat pneumococcal pneumonia, a type of pneumonia caused by bacteria. Ask your doctor if you are at greater risk of this type of pneumonia, and if you should be vaccinated.
Here are additional ways to help protect yourself from pneumonia, courtesy of the American Lung Association:
- Get a flu vaccine every flu season.
- If you notice respiratory symptoms that last for several days, seek treatment at once.
- Get plenty of sleep, exercise regularly, and maintain a healthy diet.
- If you are taking antibiotics for any bacterial infection, be sure to finish the entire prescription.
Posted: November 2007
Recommended for you