Health Tip: Help Prevent Foodborne Illness
-- The way you shop for groceries can affect your risk of contracting a foodborne illness.
The American Dietetic Association offers these food-shopping tips:
- Fill your cart first with non-perishable items, saving meat, dairy and other foods that can spoil for last.
- Choose fresh produce that's sold in loose pieces, rather than in packages.
- Make sure dairy products aren't past their "sell-by" dates.
- Choose meat, poultry and fish carefully, purchasing only the freshest cuts from a grocer you trust.
- Have your meat, fish and poultry put in bags that are separate from other foods.
Posted: November 2010