Health Tip: Help Prevent Cavities
-- Tooth decay is among the most common medical conditions, second only to the common cold, the U.S. National Library of Medicine says.
The agency offers these suggestions to help keep your teeth healthy and cavity-free:
- See your dentist every six months and have annual X-rays.
- Brush your teeth with fluoridated toothpaste at least twice a day, and floss every day.
- Avoid snacking on foods that are chewy, sticky or sugary. If you do eat them, be sure to brush right after eating.
- Avoid mints, candy and sugar-laden drinks.
- Ask your dentist if you should use a sealant on your teeth.
Posted: December 2008