Health Tip: Help Ease Morning Sickness
-- Nausea and vomiting are common among pregnant women. Although these symptoms often are dubbed morning sickness, they can last all day.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to help alleviate morning sickness:
- Prepare several small meals during the day to prevent getting too hungry or too full.
- Stick to bland and lighter foods, rather than those high in fat, grease, or spices.
- Don't eat anything with a smell that bothers you or makes you feel nauseous.
- Choose carbohydrates such as white rice or a plain baked potato.
- Keep some saltine crackers next to your bed, and munch on a few before you rise from bed each morning.
- Consider wearing acupressure wrist bands, used by some people to prevent sea sickness.
- Some women are bothered by iron in their prenatal vitamins. If this includes you, speak to your doctor.
Posted: December 2010
Recommended for you