Health Tip: Help Cool a Temper Tantrum
-- When your child's outburst becomes a temper tantrum, especially in a public place, some parents don't know how to react.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions:
- Stay calm and if possible, ignore your child's tantrum.
- When your child starts to calm down, offer plenty of praise and positive reinforcement.
- Help distract your child and encourage calming down by putting the child in time out.
- Explain that you understand the child's feelings and frustrations.
- Teach your child healthy ways of managing anger and frustration.
- Be a good role model by handling your own frustrations in a calm manner.
Posted: June 2012