Health Tip: Help Baby Stretch and Move
-- Newborns may not be able to do too much more than eat, sleep and dirty their diapers. But they do have certain reflexes and movements.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions to encourage newborns' movements and coordination:
- Allow your baby time each day to freely stretch growing arms and legs.
- Let baby try to turn and lift the head. But be sure to support the baby's head and neck.
- Keep a careful eye and hand on baby at all times, even a newborn, to prevent rolling or falling off of a changing table or other furniture.
- Over time, your baby's reflexes and movements should become more deliberate and controlled.
- Bring up to the pediatrician any concerns about baby's movement, growth, reflexes or development.
Posted: December 2009