Health Tip: Stay Healthy at College
-- College is an exciting time. For many students, it's their first extended stint living away from mom and dad.
But the stress of maintaining good grades, living on a limited income, and getting along with roommates can take its toll, mentally and physically.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions for staying healthy at college:
- Get regular medical checkups and vaccinations.
- Get plenty of sleep. Sleep deprivation can lead to bad grades, depressed mood, and difficulty maintaining relationships. It also raises your risk of chronic problems including diabetes and heart disease.
- Make time for regular exercise.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Don't ignore symptoms of depression.
- Don't abuse drugs or alcohol.
- Take precautions to prevent sexually transmitted disease.
Posted: May 2011