Health Tip: Healing Mentally After a Heart Attack
-- A variety of emotions are common after a heart attack, and it's important to take care of them -- as well as your heart.
The American Heart Association offers these recommendations to keep your mind in good health:
- If you are afraid, get all the facts. Talk to your doctor about your concerns, and about what you should expect in the coming months.
- Soothe anxious feelings by talking to a friend or family member.
- Get exercise. It's good for your heart, and it can help alleviate anxiety.
- Spend time doing activities that you enjoy.
- Talk to your doctor if you feel symptoms of depression, which is common after a heart attack.
- Stay social. Establish a network of friends to help you through your difficult time.
Posted: May 2008
Recommended for you