Health Tip: Having High Blood Pressure
-- Having high blood pressure puts you at higher-than-normal risk of heart disease and stroke, among other medical problems.
Here are risk factors that may make you more likely to develop high blood pressure, courtesy of the American Heart Association:
- Being significantly overweight or obese.
- Eating a diet that's too high in sodium (salt).
- Drinking alcohol to excess, or too frequently.
- Getting insufficient exercise.
- Feeling too much stress or anxiety.
- Having a family history of high blood pressure.
- Being African-American.
- Being age 35 or older.
Posted: April 2008
Recommended for you