Health Tip: On the Go With Diabetes
-- Crossing time zones while adjusting your insulin doses can be tricky. Discussing your travel plans with your doctor can make the trip easier.
The American Diabetes Association offers these suggestions for diabetics on the go:
- Visit your doctor and bring your travel itinerary, to plan out when you should take insulin.
- Don't change your watch from your home time zone until the morning after you arrive.
- If taking insulin on the flight, be careful not to inject air into the insulin bottle.
- Check your blood glucose often, particularly once you land.
- For a few days after you land, take it easy as you adjust to the new time zone.
Posted: August 2012