Health Tip: Getting Rid of Head Lice
-- Head lice are tiny insects that can infect the scalp, and are easily spread from person to person by close contact.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine suggests these potential treatment techniques for head lice. Be sure to apply them at the first sign of infection, after speaking with your doctor.
- Use a medicated shampoo designed to treat head lice, and be sure to follow all instructions carefully.
- Use a metal nit comb to get rid of lice eggs (nits). To make eggs easier to remove, apply olive oil to the hair first, or apply beeswax to the comb.
- Begin treatment as soon as you spot lice.
- Launder all of your clothes and linens in hot water and laundry detergent.
- Comb hair for nits again after a week-to-10-day period.
Posted: October 2010