Health Tip: Drug and Food Interactions
- Many medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, can negatively interact with foods, supplements or other drugs.
Here are guidelines to help prevent food-drug interactions, courtesy of the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- Check prescription and over-the-counter drug labels to see if they contain any warnings.
- Follow directions on all medications carefully.
- Unless you get your doctor's OK, never break up pills and mix them with food, and never empty capsules into food.
- Take medications with a whole glass of water, unless your doctor has given you other instructions. Never take medications with alcohol.
- Don't take your medications at the same time as you take vitamins or dietary supplements.
- Don't mix medications in a hot drink, as the heat may affect the medication.
Posted: December 2007
Recommended for you