Health Tip: Follow Instructions on Insect Repellent
-- An insect repellent can help keep bugs at bay, reducing the risk of illness associated with insect bites.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency offers these guidelines for proper use of insect repellents:
- Always follow label instructions when applying. Make sure products are stored out of a child's reach.
- Apply insect repellent only on skin that is exposed, never underneath clothing.
- Never apply repellant around the mouth or eyes, and use carefully around ears. When applying to the face, first spray onto the hands.
- Avoid applying repellent to areas that are injured or irritated.
- Never use repellant on an animal, unless the product is made for that use.
- Never spray repellent indoors or around food, and take care not to inhale the spray.
- Once inside, wash skin with soap and water, and launder clothing.
Posted: June 2014