Health Tip: Take it Easy After You Give Birth
-- After you've had a baby, your body needs time to heal, so you shouldn't expect to immediately resume normal physical activity.
The University of Michigan Health System offers these suggestions for new moms:
- Go easy on your body. Resume your normal schedule and activities gradually.
- Lift your baby, and that's about it. Avoid lifting anything heavy, even grocery bags or loads of laundry.
- Don't drive a car for about two weeks, or until your doctor says it's OK.
- Walking is great. Start out going for regular short walks.
- Limit stair climbing for at least the first week. Be careful using the stairs, and only climb long staircases once or twice each day.
Posted: January 2009
Recommended for you