Health Tip: Easing Back Pain During Pregnancy
-- While you're pregnant, all that extra weight can lead to significant back pain.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists offers these suggestions to help prevent or relieve that pain in your back:
- Avoid completely flat or high-heeled shoes; something in between with a low heel and supportive arch is best.
- Don't lift heavy objects by yourself.
- If you have to be on your feet for a long time, prop up one foot on a stepstool or stair.
- Sleep on a firm mattress or place a board between the mattress and box spring.
- Bend at your knees rather than at the waist.
- Place a small pillow behind your lower back when sitting in a chair, or use a chair with a lot of back support.
- Sleep on your side, and place pillows between your legs.
- Gently massage your lower back, or apply a heating pad or ice pack.
Posted: May 2009