Health Tip: Dressing for Warmth
- During the cold winter months, it's important to protect your skin from frostbite, chapping and drying. Dressing warmly and wisely can help keep you warm and spare your skin.
The New York City Office of Emergency Management offers these suggestions before heading outdoors this winter:
- Retain body heat by keeping your head warm. Wear a scarf, hood or hat.
- Dress in layers to insulate yourself, and to make it easier to cool down if you get too warm.
- Use gloves, scarves, hats and earmuffs to keep extremities warm. Be especially sure to cover your ears, nose and fingers.
- Remove any clothing that gets wet, as it will only make you colder.
Posted: December 2007
Recommended for you