Health Tip: Don't Ignore Ingrown Toenail
-- If you have a toenail that's expanded beneath the skin, no doubt it's become sore and painful and needs attention.
If you have poor circulation or diabetes, seek prompt medical treatment. But even if you don't have these medical problems, don't ignore an ingrown toenail.
The ADAM Encyclopedia offers these home-treatment suggestions:
- Soak the toe in warm water three to four times each day.
- When you're not soaking, keep your feet dry.
- Carefully massage the area that's inflamed.
- Slide a piece of dental floss or cotton, soaked with a little antiseptic or water, underneath the nail.
- Consider using over-the-counter treatments, but know that they're for pain only -- they won't treat the ingrown toenail itself.
- Wear open-toed shoes or sandals until the condition improves.
- If the condition worsens or doesn't improve, see a doctor before infection sets in.
Posted: February 2011
Recommended for you