Health Tip: Don't Use a Hot Tub During Pregnancy
- While a hot bath may sound like a great way to soothe aching muscles during pregnancy, becoming overheated in a hot bath or a hot tub poses risks for a developing fetus, the American Pregnancy Association says.
So using a hot tub is generally not recommended for pregnant women.
If you decide to take a bath, the association offers this advice on how to do it safely:
- Don't let the water get too hot, whether it's in a bath or hot tub.
- If you do choose to use a hot tub, don't stay for more than 10 minutes.
- Body temperatures of 102.2 degrees Fahrenheit or higher can be dangerous for a fetus, so take your temperature regularly to be sure it is not too high.
- If you start to feel uncomfortable, sick, or notice that you've stopped sweating, get out of the water as quickly as possible.
Posted: February 2008