Health Tip: Don't Aggravate an Upset Stomach
-- Got an upset stomach? Here are suggestions on how to tame it, courtesy of the U.S. National Library of Medicine:
- Drink plenty of clear liquids, like water, ginger ale, or certain fruit juices. Drink slowly and consume only small amounts at a time to avoid aggravating the stomach.
- Avoid dark and heavy fluids, like cola or coffee.
- If you're vomiting, don't eat any solid food until you haven't been sick in at least six hours. Then, slowly introduce light foods, like dry toast or crackers.
- Over-the-counter medications like Pepto Bismol may help ease nausea in adults. These medicines, however, contain aspirin-like ingredients and should never be given to children or teens who have had recent bouts with chickenpox or flu.
- If nausea and vomiting do not subside, consult your doctor without delay.
Posted: July 2007
Recommended for you