Health Tip: Does Your Child Have Symptoms of ADHD?
-- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) affects a child's ability to perform in school and form relationships.
The disorder is characterized by primary traits including inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination, the U.S. National Library of Medicine says.
The agency offers this list of classic symptoms of ADHD:
- Carelessness in school work
- Losing personal items and those needed for school.
- Problems paying attention for long periods.
- Difficulty listening and following instructions, and problems with organization.
- Acting forgetful, and getting frequently distracted.
- Difficulty sitting still or performing quiet activities.
- Talking excessively, often out of turn.
Posted: July 2009