Health Tip: Does Your Child Grind the Teeth?
-- Bruxism is used to describe grinding the teeth or clenching the jaws, especially while asleep or under stress.
In many cases, the teeth aren't damaged, although some kids who grind may have headaches or earaches.
The Nemours Foundation offers this list of bruxism's possible warning signs:
- Your child makes a grinding sound while asleep.
- Your child's jaw or face is sore in the morning.
- Your child sucks the thumb.
- Your child bites the fingernails.
- Your child has signs of biting on the inside of the cheek.
- Your child frequently chews on items such as toys or pencils.
Posted: December 2009