Health Tip: Dive Safely
-- Diving into water that's too shallow can lead to a spinal cord injury, permanent brain damage and even death, the American Academy of Pediatrics warns.
The academy offers this list of safe diving practices:
- Always check to see how deep the water is by initially entering feet-first.
- Above-ground pools usually are not deep enough for diving, so never dive into that type of pool.
- Never dive into the shallower end of a pool.
- Don't dive through inner tubes or other toys.
- Take a class to learn proper diving.
Posted: July 2012