Health Tip: Diet Can Help Irritable Bowel Symptoms
-- While controlling stress and taking certain medications can help manage symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), monitoring your diet and eating habits can have the most significant impact, the American Dietetic Association says.
The group offers these suggestions:
- Create a schedule for meals, and stick to it.
- Instead of three large meals, eat smaller meals throughout the day.
- Chew your food carefully and eat slowly.
- Eat foods high in fiber, such as whole grains, vegetables and fruits.
- Drink plenty of water, while avoiding caffeine and alcohol.
- Keep a diary of any IBS symptoms and the corresponding foods you eat -- to see if there's an association between a particular food and onset of IBS.
Posted: December 2010
Recommended for you