Health Tip: When Diaper Rash Needs a Doctor
-- Diaper rash is usually managed and treated at home without a doctor's supervision. There are cases, however, when it's best to call a pediatrician.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these warning signs that diaper rash should be evaluated by a doctor:
- The rash breaks out when the baby is 6 weeks or younger.
- The rash has small ulcers or pimples.
- The rash is accompanied by fever, nodules or large bumps.
- The infant doesn't look well or has lost weight.
- The rash spreads beyond the diaper area, including to the scalp, face or arms.
- The rash doesn't improve with treatment after a week.
Posted: February 2010
Recommended for you