Health Tip: Dental Care for Seniors
-- As you age, it may become more difficult to take proper care of your teeth, especially if you have arthritis.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions to prevent tooth decay as you get older:
- If you have trouble gripping a toothbrush, make it thicker by wrapping it with tape.
- To make your toothbrush handle longer, tape an extender around the end of the handle. Try a tongue depressor, ice cream stick or ruler.
- Use an electric or battery-powered toothbrush.
- There are several different aids that you can buy at the drug store to make flossing easier. Ask your dentist for suggestions.
- Thoroughly brush your gums, tongue and the roof of your mouth with toothpaste each day before putting in your dentures.
Posted: July 2008