Health Tip: Decorate for the Holidays Safely
-- Some holiday decorations can be unsafe, posing hazards for adults, children and even pets.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these guidelines for choosing holiday decorations:
- Make sure tree lights and decorations are flame-resistant or non-combustible.
- Keep candles away from trees and natural evergreen decorations. Make sure candles are in a place where they can't be knocked over.
- Don't use decorations with small parts that can be pulled off and swallowed by young children.
- Don't use decorations that look like food. Young children may be tempted to eat them.
- Be careful when using "angel hair," or spun glass, as well as sprayed artificial snow. Take steps to protect your eyes, skin and lungs.
Posted: December 2009