Health Tip: Dealing With Depression After Pregnancy
-- As many as 13 percent of new mothers are depressed after giving birth.
The National Women's Health Information Center offers these suggestions to help ease postpartum depression:
- Don't worry about making sure you're doing everything perfectly. Do what you can, the best you can.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help from your spouse or partner, friends or family.
- Sleep as much as you can. Take advantage of your baby's nap time to catch up.
- Plan dates with your partner or outings with your friends to have some time to yourself.
- Talk about what you're feeling with friends and family, as well as other new moms going through the same thing.
- Join a support group for new mothers.
- Keep life as simple as possible after the baby is born. Now is not the time to make major decisions or life changes, unless you must.
Posted: February 2009
Recommended for you