Health Tip: Dealing With Baby's Gas
-- A gassy baby is a grumpy baby, but there are things parents can do to help alleviate the problem.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions:
- If mom is breast-feeding, identify any foods in mom's diet that could be contributing to gas.
- If baby is formula-fed, use ready-to-feed formula. Or, to cut down on air bubbles, allow a mixed powdered formula to sit before feeding.
- Use vented, angled or collapsible formula bottles to help reduce swallowed air.
- Burp baby more frequently.
- Gas drops may be used safely, but keep in mind that often they aren't effective and they can be costly.
Posted: May 2014