Health Tip: Creating a Fire Escape Plan
-- When a fire breaks out at home, there's often little time to think -- only to react. So it's important for families to have an escape plan.
The firesafety.gov Web site offers this advice on creating your plan:
- Plan two escape routes from every room in your home.
- Set a designated meeting spot for all family members outside the home.
- If a door feels hot, never try to open it.
- In the event of a fire, immediately leave the home. Don't stop to collect belongings.
- Never go back inside a home in which there's a fire.
- Make sure your family practices the escape plan at least once a month.
Posted: August 2009
Recommended for you