Health Tip: Create a Healthy Sleep Environment
-- With the correct sleep environment comes the chance of a more serene and restful night's sleep.
The National Sleep Foundation offers these suggestions toward creating the correct sleep environment:
- Use earplugs to muffle disturbing sounds. Or use a device that emits "white" noise to mask outside sounds.
- Keep your room cool. Don't wear heavy sleepwear if you tend to get too warm.
- Keep your room dark, but make sure you are exposed to plenty of bright light or sunlight during the day.
- Make sure your bed is big enough to promote comfortable sleep, and that your mattress, pillows and blankets are comfortable.
- If your partner snores or has disrupted sleep, devise an arrangement to make sure you both get the sleep you need.
Posted: September 2012