Health Tip: Coping With Separation Anxiety
-- It's common for young children -- especially between the ages of 8 months to 1 year -- to cry or throw a tantrum when a parent leaves the home.
While this behavior may be unpleasant, experts say it's perfectly normal.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions to help ease separation anxiety:
- Try not to first leave your little one with a sitter between the ages of 8 months and 1 year, when separation anxiety tends to peak.
- Don't schedule your departure time when your child is likely to be tired or hungry.
- Let your child get to know a new babysitter, and try to make the transition gradual.
- Adhere to a calm, consistent and loving goodbye routine.
- Reassure your child that you will be back. Make special time to give the child your undivided attention.
Posted: September 2012