Health Tip: Coping With Inflammatory Bowel Disease
-- People who have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) have flares when symptoms worsen, and periods of remission when symptoms ease up.
The American Gastroenterological Association offers these suggestions to help you cope with the disease, especially during flares:
- Learn how IBD affects your body.
- While foods don't cause IBD symptoms, certain foods can exacerbate symptoms. Recognize which foods make your symptoms worse, and avoid them.
- Take control over the factors that you are able to control.
- Build a support system, including support groups, friends and family.
- Always follow instructions given by your medical team.
Posted: September 2011