Health Tip: Coping With Epilepsy
-- People with epilepsy are prone to injury in the event of a sudden seizure.
The University of California San Francisco Medical Center offers these suggestions to help reduce your risk of injury:
- Always wear or carry something that identifies you as having epilepsy --a bracelet, necklace or ID card.
- Make sure that your friends, family and co-workers know what to do.
- If you've been having seizures, avoid situations that could be dangerous, such as working in high places or swimming by yourself.
- Understand and follow state rules and laws about driving with epilepsy.
- Never stop taking your epilepsy medication or change your dose without talking to your doctor.
- In addition to your seizure medicine, never take any other medication without talking to your doctor or pharmacist.
Posted: October 2008
Recommended for you