Health Tip: Controlling Asthma
-- While some people are more likely to have asthma, the things that actually "trigger" attacks vary from person to person.
In general, there are things asthmatics can do to ward off attacks. The National Safety Council offers these suggestions:
- Avoid being around smokers. If someone must smoke indoors near a person who is asthmatic, it should only be allowed in a separately ventilated area.
- Keep humidity levels in the home low -- between 30 percent and 50 percent.
- Avoid using a humidifier. It one is necessary, change water daily to prevent microbe growth.
- When cooking, running a dishwasher or using the shower, keep windows open or use an exhaust fan.
- Have any combustion-powered appliances -- such furnaces, stoves or heaters -- checked every year, and change their filters regularly.
- Keep the house clean and free of dust, dirt and animal dander.
Posted: September 2008