Health Tip: Considering an Alternative Therapy?
-- Alternative therapies, such as herbal remedies, acupuncture or acupressure, are becoming increasingly popular. But you should always use caution when experimenting with any alternative therapy, because it is not regulated by any government agency.
The American Cancer Society lists warning signs that an alternative therapy may be fraudulent and unsafe:
- If the treatment is based on a theory that hasn't been scientifically proven.
- If the treatment's advocates promise a cure for a serious condition (such as cancer or AIDS).
- If the treatment's advocates suggest that you not take other medications or receive standard medical treatments.
- If the treatment is based on a "secret formula" that can't be disclosed.
- If the treatment is only available in certain countries.
- If the treatment's advocates offer guarantees of no side effects.
Posted: April 2009
Recommended for you