Health Tip: Communicate With an ADHD Child
-- It can be difficult to capture the attention of a child with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
The University of Michigan Health System offers these suggestions:
- Avoid shouting instructions at the child.
- Put your hands on the child's shoulders, kneel down and acknowledge when the child makes eye contact, then provide clear instructions.
- Give instructions one at a time, breaking down a large task into several smaller ones.
- Make frequent eye contact with the child and repeat your instructions.
- For multiple-step instructions, make a checklist that covers everything.
Posted: June 2014