Health Tip: Cleaning Up Mold
-- If you see or smell mold in your home, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends these cleaning methods:
- Use a diluted bleach solution (no more than 1 cup bleach per gallon of water), soap and water or a commercial cleaning product. Use with a stiff brush.
- Never mix bleach with any other household chemical, as the mixture can produce toxic fumes.
- Wear non-porous gloves and protective eyewear. Open windows for ventilation.
- Consult the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (epa.gov) for information about cleaning areas of mold greater than 10 square feet.
Posted: December 2013