Health Tip: Clean a Wound Carefully
-- When you get a cut, scrape or minor puncture wound, careful cleaning can help prevent an infection.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions for cleaning a minor wound:
- Run cool water over the wound, either by pouring from a cup or holding the area under running water.
- Using a soft washcloth and soap, gently clean the skin.
- Avoid applying soap directly in the wound.
- Clean a pair of tweezers with isopropyl alcohol, then use the tweezers to remove any dirt or debris in and around the wound.
- Avoid using strong cleansing solutions such as hydrogen peroxide or iodine. Use plain water unless otherwise directed by a doctor.
Posted: January 2012
Recommended for you