Health Tip: Choosing Your Child's Therapist
-- If your child has emotional, behavioral or certain physical problems, a therapist may help your child learn to cope with these issues.
The Nemours Foundation offers these guidelines for choosing your child's therapist:
- Make sure the therapist is licensed to practice in your state, and is also covered by your health insurance.
- Research the therapist's credentials and experience, particularly in working with children.
- Look for a therapist who is friendly and good with children, and who you think your child would like.
- Ask about the therapist's policies -- such as what happens if you must cancel an appointment, or what to do if there's an emergency and the therapist is not available.
- Look for a therapist who is also willing to meet with the parents.
Posted: November 2008