Health Tip: Choosing a Safe Summer Camp
-- Summer camp can be a great experience for kids, but parents should make sure their children will be safe.
The American Camp Association says parents should know the answers to these questions:
- What is the camp's safety philosophy?
- Does the camp director have at least a bachelor's degree, recent in-service training and a minimum of 16 weeks' administrative experience?
- Are counselors properly trained in general safety and behavior management?
- How old are camp counselors?
- What is the ratio of campers to counselors?
- What traits does the director look for when hiring counselors?
- How many counselors return from year to year?
- How does the camp handle special needs, behavior problems and homesickness?
- Are references from other parents available?
Posted: July 2014