Health Tip: Choosing Baby's Playpen
-- A playpen can help parents get things done with the knowledge that baby can't wander off. But it's no substitute for parental oversight.
Here are suggestions to help you find a safe playpen, courtesy of the Nemours Foundation:
- If you choose a playpen with mesh sides, protect baby's fingers by making sure the holes are small -- 1/4 of an inch or less. The mesh must also be sturdy and properly attached to the device's edges.
- The sides of the playpen must extend at least 20 inches above the floor.
- The rails on each side should be well-padded to protect baby from a head injury.
- Make sure that your infant can't reach any of the playpen's locks.
- All hinges and supports should be enforced and protected.
- If acquiring a used playpen, make sure its floor is in good shape, with no tears or worn spots.
Posted: May 2009