Health Tip: Choosing an Assisted Living Option
-- Assisted living housing may be the ideal solution for an aging person who can't quite live alone, but who doesn't need the complete services of a nursing home.
Rotary International offers this list of assisted living options:
- Individual apartments or homes -- which are part of a senior community, where social activity, security and supervision are there if needed.
- Congregate housing -- which offers independent living in private residences, but with the benefit of community meals and activities.
- Assisted living housing -- which offers help with some daily activities, such as bathing, dressing and cooking.
- Board and care housing -- which offers community meals and activities, and assistance with activities such as bathing and grooming, getting dressed and using the toilet.
- Continuing-care retirement communities -- which are senior-housing complexes that offer a variety of assisted living options, often from independent quarters to nursing facilities.
Posted: June 2009