Health Tip: Choose Your Day to Quit Smoking
-- Your desire to stop smoking is a major decision, and shouldn't be taken lightly.
The Cleveland Clinic offers some suggestions:
- Set your quit date a few weeks in advance. Slowly cut down and create a plan for quitting. Avoid places where you once liked to smoke.
- The day you quit, keep yourself busy. Toss out all your cigarettes.
- Understand that nicotine replacements (such as gum or a patch) can help you quit, but you probably will still have to fight the urge to smoke.
- Quit forever, and don't allow yourself an occasional cigarette.
- Tell yourself that you cannot give in and smoke.
- Seek help, such as a smoking cessation program, if you need it.
Posted: December 2011