Health Tip: Choose the Right Backpack
- Children can suffer bruises, muscle stiffness and strains from backpacks that are too heavy or are worn improperly.
The U.S. National Safety Council makes these recommendations when selecting a backpack for your child:
- Choose a backpack designed for safety and comfort, with padding in the back and shoulders.
- A backpack should have belts that strap around the hips and chest for extra support.
- Look for pockets and compartments inside the backpack to more evenly distribute the weight across the back.
- Look for a backpack with straps on the sides or bottom to compress the contents, so that items are as close to the back as possible
- Look for a backpack with reflective stripes for increased visibility at night.
Posted: March 2008