Health Tip: Change Diapers Safely
-- A changing table makes dressing and changing baby easier, but it can lead to injury if used improperly.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these changing-table safety tips:
- Make sure the table is sturdy and has a 2-inch guard rail that completely surrounds the table.
- Ensure that the table top is concave, with the sides slightly raised above the middle.
- Always buckle your baby in with the safety strap, but don't trust it to fully protect the child.
- Always stay with baby when the infant is on the changing table.
- Keep a supply of diapers, wipes, baby powder and other accessories close by, so you don't have leave the table to get them.
- Don't let baby hold or play with baby powder or disposable diapers.
Posted: May 2010