Health Tip: Celiac Disease May Trigger Serious Complications
-- Celiac disease causes the body's immune system to prevent the small intestine from working properly, denying the body needed nutrients.
This can lead to a number of potential complications, the American Gastroenterological Association says. Among them:
- Greater risk of anemia or malnutrition.
- "Refractory" celiac disease, which causes symptoms to persist despite a gluten-free diet.
- Short stature in children, or osteoporosis.
- Greater risk of lymphoma or intestinal cancer.
- Some people with celiac have other autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid disease or type 1 diabetes.
Posted: May 2010
Recommended for you