Health Tip: Symptoms of Celiac Disease in Adults
-- Celiac disease makes your body intolerant to a protein called gluten, which is found in foods including wheat, rye and barley products. It can also be found in some vitamins, lip balms and medications.
According to the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse, these symptoms may be warning signs of celiac disease in adults:
- Digestive problems including chronic diarrhea, abdominal bloating and pain. Digestive symptoms, however, are less likely to affect adults than children.
- Feeling tired, anxious or depressed.
- Arthritis or osteoporosis.
- Unexplained anemia.
- Feelings of numbness or tingling in the feet or hands.
- Irregular menstrual periods, multiple miscarriages or infertility.
- Canker sores.
- An itchy skin rash.
Posted: April 2009