Health Tip: What Causes Sore Breasts?
-- Breast soreness is common in young women, but it becomes less common as they get older.
Breast pain may be constant, or come and go over time. Pain that won't go away or frequently comes back should be discussed with a doctor.
The American Academy of Family Physicians lists these common causes of breast soreness:
- Hormonal changes associated with the menstrual cycle.
- Retaining water, which often happens during the menstrual cycle.
- An injury or damage to the breast.
- Pregnancy or breast-feeding.
- An infection in the breast.
- Breast cancer, although this is a rare cause of breast pain.
Posted: September 2008