Health Tip: Causes of Corns
-- Corns are small bumps that develop on the top or sides of the toes, often because you've worn shoes that rub those toes the wrong way.
Corns are not a serious condition, but they can be painful.
Here are common causes of corns, courtesy of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
- Having a deformity of the toe, such as a hammer toe.
- Wearing high heels that pinch the toes or put pressure on the ball of the foot.
- A seam inside a shoe rubbing on the toes.
- Poorly fitting socks that allow pressure or friction on the toes.
- Shoes that are too tight or too loose.
Posted: February 2009
Recommended for you