Health Tip: Caring for a Newborn's Umbilical Cord
- Once a newborn's umbilical cord is cut just after birth, the remaining piece needs proper care to prevent infection.
The American Pregnancy Association offers these suggestions:
- Keep the area around the cord clean. Ask your doctor what is recommended -- perhaps cleaning regularly with rubbing alcohol, or just water and a gentle cleanser.
- Make sure the cord area stays dry. Use a newborn diaper with an area cut out to expose the cord. Also, let your baby wear a short t-shirt and a diaper when possible to help air get to the area.
- Don't give your baby a full, submerged bath -- just a sponge bath -- until after the cord has fallen off.
- Never pick or pull at the remaining cord, but let it fall off on its own.
Posted: February 2008
Recommended for you